D & J Tullis's Kilbowie Iron Works . Established at Parkhead in 1891 by David and James Tullis, the company specialised in the manufacture of industrial laundry equipment. One of their early slogans was "Don't kill the wife - let us do the dirty work"! The company's first order - a washing machine for Glasgow Corporation - had to be returned for modification, but within a few years demand for Tullis' machines had increased to such an extent that larger premises were required. These were found at Kilbowie and comprised offices, a foundry and pattern, welding and tinsmith and machine and assembly shops. By 1936 (when it was the largest laundry-making factory in Europe), 500 men were employed at the Kilbowie works in the manufacture of industrial washing machines (the smallest took the equivalent of fifty shirts per load, and the largest 500), hydro extractors and table linen pneumatic presses. In the 1960s, Tullis were taken over and became part of the Manlove Tullis Group. Ultimately the Kilbowie Works were closed, and the site sold to Clydebank Burgh Council. Today D & J Tullis is a Division of Polymark (UK), and the Clyde Regional Shopping Centre stands on the site of the Kilbowie Iron Works.